Here is my top list of free and cheap things to do in Fargo. You can get so used to running back and forth to Fargo that it’s easy to take it for granted. There is a lot of fun stuff to do in Fargo and there are new things everyday put on a recent trip we did it all and here is a list of the can’t miss.
Let’s start with the food, sometimes I found myself just stopping for Chick-fil-A because it’s easy. There are a lot more awesome places to eat in Fargo than Chick-fil-A.
1) Spicy Pie Pizza is the can’t miss pizza place in downtown Fargo. It’s popular with college kids for a reason, giant slices of any kind of pizza on the menu and a drink for a low price. They have a daily special pizza and extensive menu. All five kids got to pick their own slice for a change and everyone was happy.
2) Smashburger, okay you’re wondering why it’s on the list. Smashburger is pretty similar to Five Guys, but if you sign up for the Smashburger email list they frequently send buy one get one deals on their burgers.
3) Taco Bros- this is the best bargain on tacos in the city, a humble food truck and with a lunch and dinner menu. These are authentic street tacos at a great price the locals know this is the place to go. If you’re looking for a sit-down place try the Vinyl Taco.
There are so many dessert places in Fargo that I wouldn’t blame you if you want to skip lunch or dinner and get right to the dessert.
4) Kones Kreamery has to be the most fun ice cream place we’ve ever been to. The staff is really wonderful and I take a lot of time to turn their gelato treats into Fun critters. That’s right critters, my kids loved watching the staff painstakingly craft desserts into animals.
5) Insomnia Cookies this place delivers freshly baked cookies. That’s right they deliver. We sat by the hotel pool and ate a giant box of freshly baked, still warm cookies. You can also stop by a location and pick one up. They have ice cream too, but with Silver Lining Creamery down the road, we didn’t even try it.
6) Silver Lining Creamery is the best ice cream that I have ever had and I mean ever. My kids struggle to finish a cup of ice cream at Culver’s or Coldstone but they finished three cups here. Yes I let them have three cups of ice cream, don’t judge. I think I kept letting them order hoping they wouldn’t finish it so I could eat the leftovers but it didn’t happen. An added bonus is they have a window or if you’re lucky you can watch them make the ice cream. They were mesmerized watching them turn fresh fruit into delicious ice cream. They also have pints to go if you want to continue the party at home.
7) Gigi’s Cupcakes- if you don’t get to go to Nadia’s, it’s okay to settle for Gigi’s. Lots of fun cupcakes with interesting flavors and fun things for the holiday. They even have some other baked goods and treats for your pets.
8) Sandy’s Donuts if you were lucky enough to go to the donuts and beer festival you might have had Sandy’s there. Sandy’s is definitely worth a stop. They do a lot of stuff for the community and they have some really good donuts and muffins. One of the few donut spots I’ve been to where there’s actually a decent size area to sit down enjoy your donuts. Not that I would eat there, I don’t think anyone needs to know that I can eat four donuts in one sitting. Menu and hours
9) Nichole’s Fine Pastries- Authentic French pastries while not cheap won’t exactly break the bank if you’re just having one or two. If you’ve been itching for an authentic tart or eclair and are shopping downtown it’s a great spot. It makes up for a nice girl’s day out snack, before we head back to the hotel and eat all those donuts and cookies. Menu and hours
Okay enough about food, there are some great activities in Fargo.
10) The Red River Zoo- it’s kind of similar to the Dakota Zoo, but it has enough differences that it’s worth checking out. The hours and admission prices are similar to Dakota Zoo, it becomes a cheap activity is if you have a membership to the Dakota Zoo, you can get a discount to this Zoo. It’s part of the reciprocity program. How to save on admission to Dakota Zoo
11) West Acres Mall- okay a mall is a mall. It’s definitely free but this mall has more activities than your usual mall. There is a fun room for younger kids to play while you take it easy on a bench and watch. My kids were too big for this, and I didn’t want to waste a ton of money in the arcade so we skipped the whole front section of the mall. There’s an awesome candy store and a toy store that are owned by the same people. They use a points reward system to help you earn money off your next purchase. The kids had a lot of fun looking at all the candy and toys. While we didn’t leave empty-handed we set a budget and it didn’t cost us too much. There are also fish tanks and a small museum in the back.
12) Family Wellness- this is a large health club in partnership with Sanford. They have indoor basketball courts and in large indoor pool with waterslides and a zero depth entry for the little ones. If you go online a few days before you visit and sign up you can get a free guest pass to try it out. You can also get a family one day pass for $24 for non-member or $12 if you are with a member. Hours, pricing and details
13) Fargo Air Museum- if you have one of those kids that loves planes make sure you put this on your list. Full of vintage airplanes and memorabilia, it’s a fun place to spend a few hours. Free admission for kids under 5. 5 to 11 only $5 students and Military $7 and everyone else is $8. Fargo Museum Details
14) Plains Art Museum this free admission spot features native and local art. It doesn’t take long to go through but it’s definitely a lot of fun. Sometimes they have programs and lectures, it’s a nice way to get inside on a snowy day. Details and hours here
15) Children’s Museum Yunker Farm- This is an oldie but goodie and since the admission is only five bucks it’s a fun way to spend an afternoon. There are lots of hands on activities. Hours and details here
16) Lindenwood Park- This large park has flowers, fountains and a universal playground for all kids. Nice picnic areas make this a fun place to eat your cookies and donuts.
17) Northern Plains Botanic Garden- This free garden includes an arboretum, butterfly garden and other cool things to see. Garden Details